If you’ve been researching buying new windows for your home, you may have come across the term ‘double glaze’ and wondering what it means. Double glazing Edinburgh professionals can give you much more information about them, but having a bit of knowledge before you call will make you an informed consumer. This will help you make a more confident buying decision.
Double glazed windows combine two panes into one window; this is known as an insulated glass unit, or IGU. The two panes are separated by a spacer and filled with a layer of gas or air. The glass is then inserted into the window frames, which are wider to accommodate the double panes.
Benefits of double glazing
There are several benefits to double glazed windows:
* Energy efficient: Because they are insulated and contain 2 panes of glass, they will keep cold and heat outside where it belongs.
* You won’t experience any drafts coming from the outside. Also, you won’t have heat or cold air escape outside when you run your furnace or AC.
* Because the two panes act as an insulator, you’ll have reduced noise from outside. You’ll hear less traffic, children playing, dogs barking, etc. so you can relax better inside your home.
* Double glazing also reduces the amount of condensation, thus reducing/preventing the formation of mould.
* Keeping the outside air from coming in, and vice versa, will help reduce your overall energy costs.
What to look for
The amount of space between the window panes is an important consideration. The space can range from 6 mm to 20 mm. For optimum performance, look for a space that is at least 12 mm. When looking for installers that specialise in double glazing in Edinburgh, choose a reputable company that understands your needs and your budget. Remember, that spending a bit now can save you thousands of dollars in heating costs over the long term.